On Saturday, September 15th over 1,500 volunteers are expected to participate in the 23rd Annual Oakland Creek to Bay Day. Oakland Creek to Bay Day is part of California and International Coastal Cleanup Day, the largest volunteer day in the world. Volunteers will remove trash from streets, parks, shorelines and waterways across Oakland, the California, the United States, and in about 100 countries.
Local activities, such as Oakland’s 53 Creek to Bay Day projects, have large-scale environmental impacts. Habitat restoration and litter removal in Oakland’s creeks improves wildlife habitat and helps filter pollutants before they reach San Francisco Bay. Serving as refuges, migratory stopovers, and corridors between open spaces and parks, Oakland’s creeks are critical to wildlife. Keeping trash out of streets and waterways also helps prevent flooding during rain storms by allowing storm water to flow through unobstructed storm drains. Oakland Creek to Bay Day raises awareness about sources of water pollution, and is a fun, community-building event for participants of all ages and abilities.
Oakland Creek to Bay Day and Coastal Cleanup Day volunteers also collect data about what kinds and amounts of trash they find and cleanup. This data gives us a better understanding of the types, amounts, and sources of trash. Eighty percent of all trash found in the oceans originates on land, so our efforts to collect data, and prevent trash from entering the storm drain system and our natural waterways are critical.
In 2017, 1,776 Oakland Creek to Bay Day volunteers removed over 40,000 gallons (equal to 1,342 30-gallon trash bags) of trash and 48,390 gallons of invasive plants from Oakland’s creeks, parks, shorelines, and streets. Worldwide, nearly 800,000 volunteers prevented 20 million pounds of trash —equivalent to the weight of over 100 Boeing 737s—from entering inland waterways and oceans. We look forward to an even more successful event in 2018.
Visit www.oaklandcreektobay.org for an interactive map and table of project descriptions, locations, and times. Connect on Facebook via Sustainable Oakland.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Oakland Aviation Museum in Oakland California. A complete walkthrough in 4k.
- Oakland International Airport Eyes Expansion As Travel Begins Returns To Pre-Pandemic Levels
- LAX and OAK Walking Tour | Oakland Airport & Los Angeles Airport
- Alice Kim’s Entertaining Vlog On Oakland, Travel, Eating In Our Town, And UC Berkeley
- Man Makes Dashcam Video Of Drive Home From Oakland Airport
- Jameis Winston Day 3 Post Practice Interview | B & G Breakdown
- Coach Gruden, Jacobs, Waller and Leatherwood Presser – 7.31.21 | Las Vegas Raiders
- Lenny Williams Interview + Tower of Power & Oakland Music History, Soul Beat TV Oakland, CA.
- Healthy Protein Smoothies Blended Jetpacks And Sixstar. Protena Saludable. Lake Merritt Oakland
- Keep Oakland Schools Segregated? Part 2 Webinar
- Los Angeles Angels vs Oakland Athletics Highlights July 30, 2021 – MLB Highlights | MLB Season 2021
- Hall Of Fame: Troy Polamalu Discussion Understanding His Desire To Attend By Joseph Armendariz
- NFL News: Former Steeler Troy Polamalu Test Positive He Wants To Attend HOF By Joseph Armendariz
- Las Vegas Raiders: Mark Davis Sends Message To Raider Nation – Get The Vaccine By Joseph Armendariz
- Sunisa Lee Gold Medal In 2021 Olympics Celebrated By Oakland’s Sheng Thao Fellow Hmong American
- Boxing Manny Pacquaio Protege Marical Close To Winning Gold At The Olympics,By Eric Pangilinan
- Las Vegas Raiders LA Dodger Maxx Scherzer Is A Die Hard Raider Fan,By Eric Pangilinan
- Las Vegas Raider Scouting Team Keeping Eye On Top CB Prospect Kiir Elam, By Eric Pangilinan
- Philippines The US Is Sending Million Doses Of Moderna Vaccine To The Philippines,By Eric Pangilinan
- Las Vegas Raider Solomon Thomas Shows Support For Simone Biles,By Eric Pangilinan