Oakland – On Friday, July 9th, 2021, Oakland City Council Vice Mayor Rebecca Kaplan sent a letter to the Water Emergency Transportation Authority (“WETA”) urging them to add further ferry service to Oakland and its surrounding cities as WETA considers expansion. The City of Oakland has a ferry terminal in Jack London Square that is home to a large and growing community, which includes housing, office space, and jobs, as well as recreation, entertainment and dining destinations.
Kaplan asks for an increased frequency of ferry service on existing routes to and from Oakland/Jack London Square; additional new routes that would provide connections to and from Richmond, Larkspur, and other areas not currently served from Oakland; and increasing connectivity and outreach by further support of the Broadway shuttle (ensuring last mile connectivity to the ferry), way-finding and informational signage, and community information regarding the ferry.
Expanding use of ferries can increase transit ridership and reduce traffic congestion.
“This can be a key opportunity to connect areas not currently served — as there is a lack of transit service connecting the East Bay with the North Bay,despite a growing number of trips along this corridor,which need a better option.
…As Oakland’s Vice Mayor and at-large Council member, a leader on the Board of the Alameda County Transportation Commission, and past Board member of BAAQMD, I recognize the vital importance of effective regional connectivity to the health and vitality of our communities. Oakland sits at the heart of the region, and has been a transportation hub for over a century. With a well-located ferry dock in a growing area, expanding ferry service to and from Oakland can help further weave together our region and ensure access to jobs and opportunity in a healthy manner.”
Full Letter: https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:cc122225-0809-426d-bf51-967516934707
Kaplan is also calling on other regional residents and organizations to join in this advocacy, to help improve the connectivity of our region.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Oakland Strong Mayor Government Caused City Managment Instability Over The Years
- Steven Donziger Convicted Of Criminal Contempt Of Judge Lewis Lapham
- Oakland Gang Wars – Best Upcoming Rappers In Oakland Part 1
- Boxing Paradigm Sports Still Trying To Stop Manny Pacquaio Errol Spence Fight By Eric Pangilinan
- Miley Cyrus Performs Party in the USA Live at Lollapalooza 2021
- JOURNEY: “Separate Ways” Lollapalooza 2021 – Saturday July 31.
- NJOMZA backstage at Lollapalooza 2021
- JOURNEY: “Don’t Stop Believin’”Lollapalooza 2021 – Saturday July 31.
- G Herbo Live at Lollapalooza 2021
- MEGAN THEE STALLION: Lollapalooza 2021 – Sunday July 31.
- This Vegas Tourist Made This Video 1000x BETTER
- Las Vegas Raiders Jon Gruden Says Alex Leatherwood Already Plays Like A Veteran By Eric Pangilinan
- Peel-A-Pound Soup Recipe To Lose 15 Pounds In One Week
- The Rolling Stones Live In Oakland, October 31 1994 Video Of Concert Zennie Abraham Attended
- Home For Sale Oakland Just Listed | 1049 44th Ave, Oakland CA
- Downs Oakland Sunday Service 8.1.21
- Oakland A’s vs. LA Angels – MLB – Free Prediction – August 1 2021 – Ghost Picks Rich
- Oakland church teams up with Kaiser to administer COVID-19 vaccines to community
- Resurrection Oakland Church | August 1, 2021. 10am
- Allen Temple Baptist Church of Oakland August 1, 2021 Worship – Rev Dr Martha Taylor, Brother Michael McCants