ONN – Oakland Can Raise $400 Million To Help Small Business Thanks To Gov Newsom, AB-464, But Will It? – vlog by Zennie62 YouTube
Oakland Can Use TIF To Raise $400 Million To Help Small Business Thanks To Gov Newsom, AB-464, But Will It?
Oakland can use tax increment financing to raise $400 million for small business economic assistance thank to AB464.
In the aftermath of the COVID-19 pandemic, which devastated California’s mom and pop enterprises, small business advocates won a historic victory today when Governor Gavin Newsom signed AB464 into law. The bill will supply small businesses with new state funding to buy and/or renovate their own brick and mortar locations, an incredible boost for the state’s local economies.
To date, EIFDs have only been used for small individual projects in only a few cities, and the funding was limited to new construction. The law signed today allows for state funding to be used for the maintenance of existing small businesses or the acquisition of new commercial properties. Widening the scope and authority of EIFDs will allow for more access to capital to address large and pressing needs at the local level.
“Economic and community recovery from the devastating impacts of the COVID pandemic will depend on public investments as soon as possible in order to restart local economies,” stated AB 464 author, Assemblymember Kevin Mullin. “Since local communities have few alternatives to raise significant funding on their own, EIFDs can solve this civic investment crisis quickly, when it’s most needed. With tax-exempt bond interest rates currently under 4%, this is a perfect time to leverage civic financial capabilities. The need for affordable housing, homeless and community facilities, as well as small business capital is at crisis level and I am proud that AB 464 provides the ability to expand the scope and authority of EIFDs so these issues can be addressed at sufficient scale and have a real impact.”
The new law couldn’t come soon enough: California voters in a statewide January 16- 19, 2021 poll conducted by David Binder Associates reported widespread distress due to the Covid-19 Pandemic:
32% have seen household members lose their job.
35% have experienced some other income loss.
15% have seen their family business shut down.
Overall, 61% have experienced some negative financial impact.
“Now that California has opened the door to EIFDs as a financing mechanism for business development — the sector most severely impacted by the pandemic — we will see renewed and stabilized small business growth across the state, said John Elberling, Founder and President of Build Affordable Faster California, which sponsored the bill. “That is precisely why Assembly member Mullin introduced AB 464, to allow California cities to assist small businesses in buying or renovating their own properties as part of their community’s economic recovery.”
The new law will also allow cities to support the acquisition and improvement of new facilities for
community nonprofit agencies that provide homeless, youth, health, and social services to local
“The Richmond District and communities throughout the City will need significant infrastructure investments in affordable housing and for our small businesses so we can re-emerge and recover from the pandemic,” said San Francisco Supervisor Connie Chan. “Assembly Speaker Pro Tem Mullin’s bill will offer new financial tools for San Francisco to deliver those investments.”
The message from voters is clear: Californians need an economic stimulus for small businesses
to jump-start its recovery, and an investment in affordable housing to protect hundreds of
thousands of residents from falling into a serious crisis.
Oakland can turn the flatlands into one big EIFD zone and raise $444 million for a bond issue to help small businesses with $10,000 grants to each of the 44,000 small businesses in the City. It can taylor it to help the homeless. The possibilities are limited only by imagination.
Oakland must do this now. No excuses.
Note from Zennie62Media’s Zennie62 YouTube and Oakland News Now Today Blog SF Bay Area: this video-blog post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest updated version of an experimental Zennie62Media , Inc. mobile media video-blogging system network that was launched June 2018. This is a major part of Zennie62Media , Inc.’s new and innovative approach to the production of news media. What we call “The Third Wave of Media”. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and Zennie62-created and owned social media pages. The overall objective is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. Now, news is reported with a smartphone: no heavy and expensive cameras or even a laptop are necessary. The secondary objective is faster, and very inexpensive media content news production and distribution. We have found there is a disconnect between post length and time to product and revenue generated. With this, the problem is far less, though by no means solved. Zennie62Media is constantly working to improve the system network coding and seeks interested content and media technology partners.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Boxing Could A Mega Fight Between Keith Thurman And Errol Spence Happen? By Eric Pangilinan
- Las Vegas Raiders: GM Mike Mayock Comes Down Wirh Delta Variant By Joseph Armendariz
- Raiders Richie Incognito Is Right: Music Choices Today Are Terrible Compared To Past Generations
- Howard Terminal Ballpark Update: Dave Kaval Oakland A’s Pres Not Tweeted Since July 20th, Meaning..
- Kyle Lowry Agrees To Sign And Trade With Miami Heat, By: Vinny Lospinuso
- Lonzo Ball Signs A 4-Year, $85 Million Deal With The Chicago Bulls
- Las Vegas Raiders: With Kicker Carlson Out Should Raiders Sign Marquette King? By Joseph Armendariz
- Las Vegas Raiders Colts Interested In QB Marcus Mariota That Deal Won’t Happen,By Eric Pangilinan
- Resorts World Las Vegas Dead Pool Area Video By Not Leaving Las Vegas – Truth Vs Fiction
- Las Vegas Raiders: Richie Incognito Talks Come Back And Music Choices In Camp By Joseph Armendariz
- Are Masks KILLING Vegas? A livestream look…
- The Optimistic Oakland A’s Report – 08.01.21
- Rimini Street Foundation Teams up with Boys and Girls Club of Oakland
- Las Vegas Raiders Bisaccia, Brown, Incognito And Renfrow Press Conference For August 2, 2021
- SF Bay Area Bicycle Is Back: Bike Oakland: Leona Canyon Keller – Grass Valley
- Oakland Strong Mayor Government Caused City Managment Instability Over The Years
- Steven Donziger Convicted Of Criminal Contempt Of Judge Lewis Lapham
- Oakland Gang Wars – Best Upcoming Rappers In Oakland Part 1
- Boxing Paradigm Sports Still Trying To Stop Manny Pacquaio Errol Spence Fight By Eric Pangilinan
- Miley Cyrus Performs Party in the USA Live at Lollapalooza 2021