OUSD To Help Clean Oakland’s Air By Adding Three New Electric School Buses to Fleet, in Partnership with Zum, Through Major Clean Mobility Options Grant
Oakland – Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) is taking an important step with its student transportation partner, Zum, to contribute to a greener environment in Oakland. The two organizations have been awarded a $450,000 grant to purchase three new electric school buses to serve Oakland students by the Clean Mobility Options (CMO) Voucher Pilot Program. The project is part of California Climate Investments (CCI), a statewide initiative that puts billions of cap-and-trade dollars to work to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, strengthen the economy, and improve public health and the environment — with a focus on disadvantaged communities.
“We are thrilled to receive this grant with Zum so we can transition our buses to electric,” said Superintendent Kyla Johnson-Trammell. “Many Oakland residents suffer from respiratory issues including asthma, often caused by vehicle emissions and other airborne pollutants. We will do everything we can to help clean the air that our students and families breathe, and the greening of our buses is a huge win for the District and for everyone who lives in Oakland.”
The Zum fleet currently takes 1,500 OUSD special education students to and from school every day, running nearly one million miles per school year. Electrifying all of the buses within the fleet will reduce carbon emissions by 1,200 tonnes per year, which are otherwise emitted by diesel buses.
“We are proud to partner with the Oakland Unified School District to provide modern, safe and reliable transportation for students. This grant from CMO will support our work with the district to drive sustainable change for the community,” said Vivek Garg, co-founder and chief operating officer at Zum. “At Zum, we’re reimagining student transportation. This is a meaningful step to advancing the use of clean technology, which is healthier for both the environment and the communities we serve.”
The California Air Resources Board awarded a total of $20 million in Clean Mobility Vouchers across the state as part of the CMO pilot to support the implementation of mobility projects like bike-sharing and scooter-sharing, zero-emission carsharing, carpooling and vanpooling, innovative transit services and ride-on-demand services.
Post based on press release to Zennie62Media from Oakland Unified School District.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Hall Of Fame: Troy Polamalu discussion Understanding His Desire To Attend By Joseph Armendariz
- NFL News: Former Steeler Troy Polamalu Test Positive He Wants To Attend HOF By Joseph Armendariz
- Las Vegas Raiders: Mark Davis Sends Message To Raider Nation – Get The Vaccine By Joseph Armendariz
- Sunisa Lee Gold Medal In 2021 Olympics Celebrated By Oakland’s Sheng Thao Fellow Hmong American
- Boxing Manny Pacquaio Protege Marical Close To Winning Gold At The Olympics,By Eric Pangilinan
- Las Vegas Raiders LA Dodger Maxx Scherzer Is A Die Hard Raider Fan,By Eric Pangilinan
- Las Vegas Raider Scouting Team Keeping Eye On Top CB Prospect Kiir Elam, By Eric Pangilinan
- Philippines The US Is Sending Million Doses Of Moderna Vaccine To The Philippines,By Eric Pangilinan
- Las Vegas Raider Solomon Thomas Shows Support For Simone Biles,By Eric Pangilinan
- Boxing Deontay Wilder Says Tyson Fury Lying About Getting Covid,By Eric Pangilinan
- Oakland’s West Oakland Homeless Population, Small Business, Need AB 464 For Economic Development
- Las Vegas Raiders Derek Carr Says He Feels A Sense Of Urgency With The Defense,By Eric Pangilinan
- Las Vegas Raiders RTC Offering Express Buss Service To Allegiant Stadium,By Eric Pangilinan
- Festival At The Lake Oakland, CA
- Las Vegas Raiders: Breaking News Regarding Theo Riddick and Kenyan Drake By Joseph Armendariz
- Video Tour of 719 Mandana Blvd, Oakland
- Video Tour of 330 13th St Unit 3B in Oakland
- Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Authority Unanimously Approves Term Sheet for African- American Led Group to Bring WNBA Team to Oakland
- Las Vegas Raiders: Has Gus Bradley Brought Back Commitment To Excellence? By Joseph Armendariz
- Bike San Francisco: Market St: Ferry to the Castro, then Twin Peaks fog & return.