Oakland, CA – Vice Mayor will join the African American Sports and Entertainment Group (AASEG) and several community leaders, in a celebration of Juneteenth and AASEG proposal to bring a Women’s National Basketball Association (“WNBA”) team to the Oakland Arena.
WHEN: 12 noon – Friday, June 18, 2021
WHERE: Everett & Jones BBQ, 126 Broadway, Jack London Square, Oakland, CA
WHO: African American investors, Vice – Mayor Rebecca Kaplan, civic leaders, local businesses, community advocates, and city representatives who will share details on the push to return pro sports to Oakland Arena, securing a Woman-led WNBA Team.
Bobbitt, AASEG’s spokesperson and key executive, will be joined by:
· Cathy Adams, Oakland African American Chamber of Commerce
· Amber Blackwell and Khariyyah Shabazz, Higher Ground Neighborhood Development Corp.
· Mario Wagner with African American Contractors
· Robert Bobb, Strategic Consultant, The Robert Bobb Group LLC
· Honorable Nate Miley, District 4, Board of Supervisors, Alameda County
· Honorable Rebecca Kaplan, Vice Mayor City of Oakland
· Honorable Noel Gallo, District 5 Councilmember, City of Oakland
· Oakland NAACP
WHAT: The African American Sports and Entertainment Group (“AASEG”), will commemorate this year’s Juneteenth celebration by honoring ancestors and their struggles for a better way of life for future generations, evidenced with progressive movement toward bringing a WNBA team to Oakland, Raymond “Ray” Bobbitt confirmed. AASEG will honor the occasion in true Texas tradition featuring a BBQ luncheon and press event.
AASEG’s due diligence includes meeting with more than 30 community groups of faith-based institutions, labor organizations, civic leaders, and job development organizations: all uniformly backing the mission of AASEG’s economic development plan.
Bearing out AASEG’s “Community First” commitment, collaborative discussions have begun with Lincoln University (LU), who recently named NBA Hall of Fame point guard and Oakland native, Gary Payton as its Men’s Basketball head coach. LU, established in 1919, sees tremendous benefit in utilizing the Oakland Arena as a home court venue for its sports teams, according to President Mikhail Brodsky and Athletic Director Desmond Gumbs, placing priority on its sports department. Equally, the university shares enthusiasm at the prospect of AASEG bringing a WNBA team to the Oakland Arena.
AASEG has already cleared a major hurdle in their quest to purchase 50% interest of the Oakland Arena, when the City Council Rules Committee voted to advance the AASEG Term Sheet to full City Council for vote before the summer recess.
Awarding the City’s largest public land site for development to an Oakland-based African American development group would be a first in City’s 169-year history–a sure sign of progress and a most befitting goal to highlight during the Juneteenth celebration.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Las Vegas Raiders Jon Gruden Needs To Handel Players Getting Vaccinated Better By Eric Pangilinan
- Las Vegas Raiders: Why Did We Sign Gerald McCoy? When We Had Mo Hurst By Joseph Armendariz
- Las Vegas Raiders: Super Fan Carlos Santana Honors Legend Tom Flores By Joseph Armendariz
- Las Vegas Raiders: Raider Fan Max Scherzer Strikes Out 10 Against Hated Astros By Joseph Armendariz
- Oakland Gang Wars – Mutual Places In Oakland Where People Get Caught Lackin
- Jameis Winston Tackling Dummy Drill Video Shows He’s Got Good Balance
- Boxing Tommy Fury Says To Jake Paul Stop Talking And Let’s Fight By Eric Pangilinan
- Las Vegas Raiders Sign All Pro Defense Tackle Gerald McCoy By Eric Pangilinan
- Zennie Abraham 59th Birthday Dinner: Michael Reid At Frank’s At The Old Mill Fayetteville GA
- Zennie Abraham 59th Birthday Dinner: Rib Eye Steak At Frank’s At The Old Mill Fayetteville GA
- Star Trek Formed My Longtime Friendships
- Loretta Devine – Adele On Grey’s Anatomy Talks Blacks and The Oscars
- United States eases past China to begin pursuit of rugby gold | Tokyo Olympics | NBC Sports
- Ben Bartlett And Zennie Abraham Celebrate August 4th 2021 Birthdays On Livestream
- Las Vegas Raiders Would Jon Gruden Trade QB Marcus Mariota To The Colts? By Eric Pangilinan
- Raiders QB Derek Carr on 2021 Training Camp – August 4, 2021
- Vern Glenn, KPIX Sports Anchor And Long Time Zennie Abraham Friend Sends Birthday Vlog
- Hanging out on Fruitvale and Foothill in Oakland Ca
- BART Old and New Trains Around Oakland and Berkeley
- Amtrak Capital Corridor #527 train at The Fruitvale Ave Crossing in Oakland CA