L.A. Rams DT Sebastian Joseph-Day Releases Op-ed Demanding Equal Education Reform
L.A. Rams Player and Member of Players Coalition Highlights Importance of Racial Justice Beginning with Our Schools
Los Angeles – Los Angeles Rams nose tackle Sebastian Joseph-Day published an op-ed on Medium demanding equal education for all children regardless of race or economic status. As an active member of Players Coalition, Joseph-Day discusses the relationship between the lack of educational funding in low-income communities and systemic oppression. He urges the United States Senate and the Administration to team up with the House to pass the HEROES provisions to address education inequities and the digital divide.
Joseph-Day wrote, “This past week has been a tough one for the African-American community and in America as a whole. I’ve been thinking long and hard about the systemic oppression that has consumed this country…What this country fails to realize is that systemic oppression is so deep that it is running within our school systems. The fact is, low-income communities are not getting the same amount of resources and opportunities that other schools are getting.”
COVID-19 has not made closing the educational gap any easier. Schools across the nation have turned to using online platforms to teach children of all ages. Joseph-Day points out that before the coronavirus outbreak nonwhite school districts already receive $23 Billion less than white districts and now that students are at home, children from low-income communities do not have access to the same learning resources.
Sebastian Joseph-Day is a member of Players Coalition which is a foundation that works with athletes, coaches and owners across leagues to improve social justice and racial equality in our country. Recently, Joseph-Day took part in signing a letter to Congress, alongside 1,400 other athletes, coaches and front office personnel urging passage of the Ending Qualified Immunity Act, also known as the Amash-Pressley Act. The bill, introduced by Representatives Justin Amash (L-MI) and Ayanna Pressley (D-MA), would help restore the public trust in government and law enforcement by ending qualified immunity for public officials, including police officers.
About Sebastian Joseph-Day:
Sebastian Joseph-Day is a nose tackle for the Los Angeles Rams of the National Football League. Before being selected in the 2018 draft, Joseph-Day played for Rutgers University in New Brunswick, New Jersey. With a Bachelor’s degree in Media Studies and Journalism, Joseph-Day is pursuing a Master’s Degree in Labor Studies. As a member of the Players Coalition, Sebastian is actively helping the community with education and economic advancement. This 2020 football season will be Joseph-Day’s third season with the Rams.
About Players Coalition
Players Coalition is an independent 501(c)(3) (charity) and 501(c)(4) (advocacy) organization, working with professional athletes, coaches and owners across leagues to improve social justice and racial equality in our country.
This post based on a press release from Players Coalition to Zennie62Media, Inc.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Willie McGinest And Andrew Siciliano Need To Work On NFL Network Chemistry
- Olympics Baseball One time MLB vets lift Dominican Republic over Mexico
- Olympics Baseball One time MLB vets lift Dominican Republic over Mexico 1 0
- Great Britain W vs Australia W live – Olympic Games Women Soccer live – Great Britain W x Australia
- U S Women’s Soccer Team Trudges Into Tokyo Olympics Knockout Round
- How Black Organizers Got Police Out of Oakland Schools
- VWS Zoom Chat🐦Dr.Alex Herman Of The Oakland Zoo On Treating Lead-Poisoned Condors 2021-07-29
- Oakland Fruitvale Ambassadors continue to educate community about vaccine
- Bike Oakland: the old commute route, Foothill from 55th Ave to 20th & Broadway and back
- USA’s Rai Benjamin cruises to 400m hurdles first-round heat victory | Tokyo Olympics | NBC Sports
- Tokyo Olympics 2020: PV Sindhu Storms Into Semi-Finals; Assures Medal In Olympics | Breaking News
- CES 2022 Consumer Technology Association New NFT And Digital Assets Program
- Jameis Winston THROWING BOMBS at New Orleans Saints Practice
- East Oakland Video Shows Worst Neighborhoods
- COVID-19 Rates Back To February 2021 Levels Due To Unvaccinated Umasked Americans
- Barbara Boxer Assault Update: Car Spotted In Downtown Oakland Police Tracked To San Francisco
- Oakland Gang Wars – The Story Of Craig Williams ( The Fall Of Case Gang Indictment )
- Cathy Hughes School of Communications Naming Ceremony
- Las Vegas Raiders: As I First Reported 3 RB’s Are Out 2 RB’s Added To Roster By Joseph Armendariz
- US Testing its New Gigantic $13 Billion Aircraft Carrier