This is my rebuttal to your post “A TIF-Based Solution To The SF Bay Area Homeless Crisis.”
I think we’ve discussed that, as the “Strongest Regional Economy in the World,” the Bay Area needs to face up to its all but palpable destiny as a megalopolitan city-state and begin dealing with the unconscionable disparity that such a freewheeling economy – not seen in California since the Gold Rush days almost two centuries ago! – has created.
Tax Improvement Funding is a well-proven means of for funding smart-growth and other socially desirable projects, as would a refinancing for those cities, like Oakland, with the heaviest debt and heftiest loan rates. If the Bay Area has, via ABAG and/or MTC, the kind of lower-rate bonding capacity and could use it to help underwrite a refi for Oakland, our City’s highest and best budget could be almost instantly forthcoming, instead of the perpetual complaint from our frustrated officials at all levels that, “We just don’t have enough money.”
Meanwhile, we’re spending more per capita on homelessness than other taxpayers in other municipalities throughout the Bay Area, even though, as you have correctly identified, this is a regional problem, and it would seem only reasonable to believe that a Bay Area Homelessness Task Force could absorb most of the costs that our under-prepared and overwhelmed politicians are struggling to deal with.
Sure, Oakland is in the eyes of many folks under the spell of our current President, a lot like the “Shithole Countries” he and his ilk disdain – but out here in the mild west, as physically distant from the stench of DC as possible, our proto city-state is obviously evolving in the direction of a new economic reality, much like the “Ecotopia” that Callenbach and others prophetically began to describe almost a half century ago.
So the big question for our leaders is this: if we can derive so many more benefits right now for our economy and, appropriately, all the rich and poor folks who dwell here too, why aren’t we taking sure steps in that direction now rather than wait for some crisis in DC – an area of the country continuously in crisis! – to nerf us onto that smarter, saner and surer path to economic stability?
As with the TIFs you and I have both seen at work much to the benefit of everyone, creation of – or, in the case of the Bay Area, realization of – a Bay Area-wide super city or megapolis should be happening now rather than to continue accommodation of the two-economy, rich-versus-poor, city-state we inhabit today, with one set of laws skewed for the wealthy and another set of constrictive laws for the most wretched and growing numbers of poor in our midst.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Fiji Vs Brazil Highlights | Rugby 7s Women | Olympics 2021 Highlights
- USA women’s rugby sinks Japan, punches quarterfinal ticket | Tokyo Olympics | NBC Sports
- Japan Vs China Highlights | Rugby 7s Women | Olympics 2021 Highlights
- Moses Moody Warriors 2021 NBA 1st Round Draft Pick From Univ Of Arkansas
- Sonoma Valley Authors Festival 4th Annual Announces World-Class Lineup of Authors
- Boxing Anthony Joshua Says He Would Knock Out Tyson Fury Will Fury Respond?By Eric Pangilinan
- Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte Says If U Are Not Vaccinated Stay Home,By Eric Pangilinan
- LA Lakers Trade For Russell Westbrook, By: Vinny Lospinuso
- Oakland Gang Wars – Santa Rita Breakdown Part 3 ( Protective Custody , The Hole , 5150 )
- Dave Casper Finds His Hall of Fame Plaque While Touring Allegiant Stadium | Las Vegas Raiders
- Sunisa Lee wins gold and becomes Team USA’s new gymnastics star
- Las Vegas Raiders Covid Hit Raiders In The Face Three Running Backs Out,By Eric Pangilinan
- Norteno Gang Violence – Killing Over Colors
- Raiders Live: Olson, Good, Ferrell and Abram Presser – 7.29.21
- Las Vegas Raiders: Did Greg Olson Just Reveal 3 Players Are Out Due To Virus? By Joseph Armendariz
- What Does Starling Marte Does Do For The Oakland Athletics?
- OFFICIAL 2021 NBA Mock Draft: Draft Day Edition
- NBA Draft Preview: Golden State Warriors | The Morning After
- Starling Marte Traded To Oakland Athletics
- Las Vegas Raiders Training Camp day 2 Where The Juice?By Eric Pangilinan