Oakland –– A recent federal court ruling regarding the nationwide eviction moratorium adopted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) does not change the City of Oakland’s current eviction and rent increase moratorium, which remains in effect during the COVID emergency and until rescinded by the Oakland City Council.
On March 27, 2020, the Oakland City Council adopted an ordinance imposing a moratorium on residential evictions and rent increases above the CPI amount of 2.7% and prohibiting late fees during the COVID-19 Local Emergency. The ordinance also prohibits evictions based on non-payment of rent that became due during the Local Emergency when the tenant suffered a substantial reduction of income or substantial increase of expenses due to COVID-19.
In September 2020, the CDC adopted a national moratorium on evictions. Last week, a federal court ruled against that moratorium on the grounds that it exceeded the CDC’s power under federal law. The Department of Justice has appealed the decision and the ruling has been put on a temporary hold.
The court’s ruling focuses on whether the CDC exceeded its authority under federal law asking the very specific question, “does the Public Health Service Act grant the CDC the legal authority to impose a nationwide eviction moratorium? It does not.”
As state and local eviction moratoria were adopted by state and local legislatures and consistently upheld by courts, the aforementioned federal ruling has no impact on Oakland’s eviction and rent increase moratorium.
The City Council has extended Oakland’s moratorium on evictions and rent increases until the Local Emergency is terminated by Council. RAP, a division of the City’s Housing & Community Development Department, reminds tenants and property owners to always ask before you act – contact a housing counselor with questions about the eviction moratorium and all other housing matters. Call (510) 238-3721 or visit: oaklandca.gov/rap
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Las Vegas Raiders: As I First Reported 3 RB’s Are Out 2 RB’s Added To Roster By Joseph Armendariz
- US Testing its New Gigantic $13 Billion Aircraft Carrier
- Las Vegas Raiders Sign Two New Running Backs To Replace Jalen Richard And Riddick By Eric Pangilinan
- Fiji Vs Brazil Highlights | Rugby 7s Women | Olympics 2021 Highlights
- USA women’s rugby sinks Japan, punches quarterfinal ticket | Tokyo Olympics | NBC Sports
- Japan Vs China Highlights | Rugby 7s Women | Olympics 2021 Highlights
- Moses Moody Warriors 2021 NBA 1st Round Draft Pick From Univ Of Arkansas
- Sonoma Valley Authors Festival 4th Annual Announces World-Class Lineup of Authors
- Boxing Anthony Joshua Says He Would Knock Out Tyson Fury Will Fury Respond?By Eric Pangilinan
- Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte Says If U Are Not Vaccinated Stay Home,By Eric Pangilinan
- LA Lakers Trade For Russell Westbrook, By: Vinny Lospinuso
- Oakland Gang Wars – Santa Rita Breakdown Part 3 ( Protective Custody , The Hole , 5150 )
- Dave Casper Finds His Hall of Fame Plaque While Touring Allegiant Stadium | Las Vegas Raiders
- Sunisa Lee wins gold and becomes Team USA’s new gymnastics star
- Las Vegas Raiders Covid Hit Raiders In The Face Three Running Backs Out,By Eric Pangilinan
- Norteno Gang Violence – Killing Over Colors
- Raiders Live: Olson, Good, Ferrell and Abram Presser – 7.29.21
- Las Vegas Raiders: Did Greg Olson Just Reveal 3 Players Are Out Due To Virus? By Joseph Armendariz
- What Does Starling Marte Does Do For The Oakland Athletics?
- OFFICIAL 2021 NBA Mock Draft: Draft Day Edition