Washington, D.C. – Congresswoman Barbara Lee (CA-13 Oakland), Chair of the House Appropriations State and Foreign Operations Subcommittee, applauded the passage of the NO BAN ACT, which would rescind the previous administration’s Muslim Ban and prohibit religious discrimination in various immigration-related decisions.
The NO BAN Act rescinds the Muslim Ban, as well as abuses of power harming refugees and individuals seeking asylum. It includes measures to limit the President’s overly broad authority to issue future bans by requiring these actions to be temporary and increases mandatory reporting requirements to Congress.
“Our nation was built by immigrant communities and is strengthened by diversity,” Congresswoman Lee said. “Today, the House Democrats passed the NO BAN Act, sending a clear message that xenophobia and Islamophobia will not be tolerated. Religious freedom is one of the fundamental guarantees of our democracy, and the NO BAN Act is a critical step in turning the page on the previous administration’s cruel and blatantly discriminatory agenda.
“While this is only the first step, we must continue fighting to prevent any president from abusing their authority to restrict the entry of non-citizens into the United States and work to ensure inclusion and acceptance for all. I am pleased that the Biden-Harris Administration supports this critical legislation and must keep working to get the NO BAN Act signed into law.”
This bill also takes measures to:
Stop Executive Overreach
Stops executive overreach by amending section 212(f) of the Immigration and Nationality Act to place checks and balances on the President’s authority to temporarily suspend or restrict the entry of non-citizens or classes of non-citizens into the United States.
In placing these checks and balances on the President’s authority, this bill requires that the President ensure that any such suspension or restriction of non-citizens or classes of non-citizens:
Is based on specific and credible facts;
Is narrowly tailored;
Specifies a duration; and
Strengthen the INA’s Nondiscrimination Provisions by Prohibiting Discrimination Based on Religion
The bill also expands the Immigration and Nationality Act’s nondiscrimination provisions to prohibit discrimination based on religion.
Furthermore, the bill expands the Immigration and Nationality Act’s prohibition on discrimination beyond the issuance of immigrant visas to include the issuance of non-immigrant visas, entry and admission into the United States, and the approval or revocation of any immigrant benefit.
Who Is Congresswoman Barbara Lee?
Congresswoman Lee is a member of the House Appropriations Committee and Chair of the subcommittee on State and Foreign Operations. She serves as Co-Chair of the Steering & Policy Committee, former Chair of the Congressional Black Caucus, Chair Emeritus of the Progressive Caucus, Co-Chair of the Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus Health Task Force, and Co-Chair of the Pro-Choice Caucus. She also serves as Chair of the Majority Leader’s Task Force on Poverty and Opportunity. As a member of the House Democratic Leadership, she is the highest ranking African American woman in the U.S. Congress.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Oakland Launches City’s First Tiny Home Village On City-Owned Parcel At Lake Merritt
- Best Highlights and Sounds From the First Padded Practice of 2021 Training Camp | Las Vegas Raiders
- Yan Gomes after homering in his first Oakland A’s game
- Solo walk around the world famous Lake Merritt in Oakland Ca. My first ever visit
- Oakland Adams Point National Night Out Block Party Tonight Aug 3 5 PM-8PM, Van Buren Av & Bellevue
- Boxing Promoter Bob Arum Setting Up A Fight Between Tyson Fury And Anthony Joshua By Eric Pangilinan
- Las Vegas Raiders Lose Second Player To Retirement Jalen Richard Returns By Eric Pangilinan
- Las Vegas Raiders Josh Jacobs Excited For First Day At Training Camp With Pads By Eric Pangilinan
- Las Vegas Raiders New Receiver John Brown Praises QB Derek Carr By Eric Pangilinan
- First day with pads. Aug 3, 2021
- Boeing Starliner Launch Canceled For Today August 3 2021 Due To Propulsion System
- LIVE Launch Of Boeing / NASA Starliner To The ISS
- Simone Biles wins bronze medal in balance beam final after taking time off for mental health
- Retired Cop Reacts to Guy Stealing Toyota Sienna in Oakland – Private Investigator
- OUSD Celebrates New Facilities Across Oakland For First Day of School, August 9 2021
- Watch Simone Biles’ podium training routine ahead of beam comeback | Tokyo Olympics | NBC Sports
- Best of Day 10 at the Tokyo Olympics: Simone Biles will compete in beam final | NBC Sports
- Simone Biles motivate Jade Carey for winning gold medal in floor exercise, Olympics highlights video
- Zennie Abraham’s Eagle Offense Playbook Endorsed By Former Cal Offensive Coach Tony Franklin
- Homegrown Oakland Heirloom Tomatoes For Sale In Adams Point As Of August 2 2021