Oakland, CA – Oakland City Council President Kaplan with Councilmembers Nikki Bas (District 2), Sheng Thao (District 4), and Noel Gallo (District 5) passed a resolution with friendly amendments from Councilmember Dan Kalb (District 1) funding restorative justice, libraries, and foster youth case managers for Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) at the Tuesday, April 16th City Council meeting.
On March 4th, 2019, OUSD made $21.75 million in budgetary cuts to meet state monitoring requirements around fiscal solvency. The budget cuts deeply impacted the District’s nationally recognized Restorative Justice program, the foster youth case management program, and also included a re-allocation of library funds.
These programs are paramount for the emotional and educational well-being of Oakland students, and for that reason, Council President Kaplan has introduced, along with her colleagues Councilmembers Bas, Gallo, and Thao, one-time funding for the restorative justice program, foster youth case managers, and libraries at OUSD. The City of Oakland has experienced higher than usual real estate transfer tax revenue, and the councilmembers are seeking to direct some of that revenue towards this end.
Said Council President Kaplan: “There are immediate critical needs in our schools for the restorative justice program and for qualified foster youth case managers that build relationships with the students to help them succeed. It is important the Council assure these hard-working people do not have to worry about being laid off, and to assure our students have consistency in staff.” In terms of foster youth, one study points out that, “by 3rd grade, 80 percent of foster children have had to repeat a grade in school.” Ensuring that case managers continue for foster youth supports one of our most vulnerable academic subgroups.
The restorative justice program moves children toward healthy and healing ways of dealing with violence and trauma instead of punitive measures such as suspension and expulsion and studies show that it disrupts to school to prison pipeline. OUSD parent Bobbi Lopez and Kaplan staffer agrees, saying “In kindergarten, my son was having trouble with a group of boys, and our Restorative Justice coordinator/coach immediately formed a boy’s socio-emotional group, that included all the kids, and my son became joyful about coming to school and other children began received much needed counseling.”
School Board member Shanti Gonzales said of this Resolution, “OUSD values its community schools model because supporting students is no longer just about their reading and arithmetic, but about their emotional and social well-being, and this money will help us overcome this difficult moment.”
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Cowboys vs Steelers – 2021 NFL Hall Of Fame Game NFL Draft Picks To Watch
- USS Hornet Car Show 2021, Alameda Ca, Lowriders, Bombitas, HD
- USS Hornet Car Show 2021, Alameda Ca, Lowriders, Bay Bombs CC 1941 Chevy RagTop
- Game Highlights: Oakland Roots SC vs. Phoenix Rising FC
- 4395 Piedmont Avenue Unit 307 Oakland, CA | ColdwellBankerHomes.com
- American Katie Nageotte goes from near-disaster to POLE VAULT GOLD | Tokyo Olympics | NBC Sports
- Las Vegas Raiders All Pro Linebacker K J Wright Visit The Raiders By Eric Pangilinan
- Kevin Durant Block Of Australian Olympics Basketball Player Layup Is Best Seen Freeze Frame
- ||The ACE Kids|| Visiting Oakland Zoo! PART 1
- Las Vegas Raiders Derek Carr Bryan Edwards Press Conference By Eric Pangilinan
- Las Vegas Raiders Jon Gruden Says Receiver Bryan Edwards Is Dynamic By Eric Pangilinan
- Are San Francisco’s ‘Tiny Homes’ the future of city housing? | ITV News
- San Francisco Cable Cars Are BACK – Lombard Street / Fishermans Wharf / Pier 39 / Boudin & Much MORE
- San Francisco Giants vs Arizona Diamondbacks Highlights August 4, 2021 – MLB Highlights | MLB 2021
- San Francisco Bay Area Reinstates Mask Order as Virus Surges
- What $3,488 Will Get You In San Francisco | Sweet Digs | Refinery29
- Mike McDaniel: Trey Lance Has a ‘Confident Swag’ | 49ers
- Plus Driverless Level 4 Truck on Highway Demo
- Covid Experts Send Message To Floridians Amid DeSantis Disinformation
- Worse Than Delta? Health Experts Worry About Future Variants