ONN – Lee Elders As First Black Masters Tournament Golfer Celebrated By Steph Curry, Curry Brands – vlog by Zennie62 YouTube
Lee Elders As First Black Masters Golfer Celebrated By Steph Curry, Curry Brands
As this is the week of The Masters Golf Tournament, where the legendary Lee Elder is celebrated for his mark in 1975 of becoming the first black golfer in history to play at the Masters, Steph Curry, Golden State Warriors legend-in-the-making, took time to thank Mr. Elder for his contributions, friendship, and relationship with Curry Brands.
Nearly 50 years after Lee Elder became the first Black player to qualify for and play in the Masters Tournament, the trailblazer will take his first turn as an honorary starter for this year’s competition. And while much has changed since Elder, 86, first teed off at Augusta National in 1975, many of the challenges he faced playing the game remain the same for Black golfers today.
“It’s just such an emotional thing to think about — how I, a little Black kid from a Dallas ghetto, was able to rise to the heights of playing in the most prestigious golf tournament in the world,” Elder said.
“I’m proud to have been selected as an honorary starter this year because I feel it’s something that is going to help young BIPOC golfers. Seeing a Black person on the course at the Masters is certainly going to enhance their thought of getting involved in the game.”
– Lee Elder
According to the National Golf Foundation, Black players make up just 3 percent of recreational golfers and 1.5 percent of competitive golfers. Though low, these participation figures still top those of Elder’s era, when lack of access, prejudicial regulations, and threats to personal safety kept Black players out of the game. Elder’s journey helped advance the game, ultimately inspiring golf enthusiast Stephen Curry to support the next generation of BIPOC golfers though Curry Brand powered by Under Armour.
“Lee Elder is legendary. He has spent his entire life breaking down golf’s color barrier, paving the way for future BIPOC golfers both on and off the course,” said Curry. “When I began building Curry Brand, I knew I wanted Lee to be a part of the family, and I’m humbled to be working with him promoting equality in golf and changing the game for good.”
Be sure to support The Pinkney Foundation of Oakland, with a click here.
Here is the full website: https://ift.tt/3ta6s9U
Note from Zennie62Media’s Zennie62 YouTube and Oakland News Now Today Blog SF Bay Area: this video-blog post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest updated version of an experimental Zennie62Media , Inc. mobile media video-blogging system network that was launched June 2018. This is a major part of Zennie62Media , Inc.’s new and innovative approach to the production of news media. What we call “The Third Wave of Media”. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and Zennie62-created and owned social media pages. The overall objective is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. Now, news is reported with a smartphone: no heavy and expensive cameras or even a laptop are necessary. The secondary objective is faster, and very inexpensive media content news production and distribution. We have found there is a disconnect between post length and time to product and revenue generated. With this, the problem is far less, though by no means solved. Zennie62Media is constantly working to improve the system network coding and seeks interested content and media technology partners.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Boxing Deontay Wilder Says Tyson Fury Lying About Getting Covid,By Eric Pangilinan
- Oakland’s West Oakland Homeless Population, Small Business, Need AB 464 For Economic Development
- Las Vegas Raiders Derek Carr Says He Feels A Sense Of Urgency With The Defense,By Eric Pangilinan
- Las Vegas Raiders RTC Offering Express Buss Service To Allegiant Stadium,By Eric Pangilinan
- Festival At The Lake Oakland, CA
- Las Vegas Raiders: Breaking News Regarding Theo Riddick and Kenyan Drake By Joseph Armendariz
- Video Tour of 719 Mandana Blvd, Oakland
- Video Tour of 330 13th St Unit 3B in Oakland
- Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Authority Unanimously Approves Term Sheet for African- American Led Group to Bring WNBA Team to Oakland
- Las Vegas Raiders: Has Gus Bradley Brought Back Commitment To Excellence? By Joseph Armendariz
- Bike San Francisco: Market St: Ferry to the Castro, then Twin Peaks fog & return.
- Carroll Fife Live Discussion – Black Arts and Culture in Oakland, TONIGHT at 6:30 pm!
- 5735 Claremont Ave Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale
- CHP releases video of a reckless driver and passengers in Oakland
- Statement By President Joe Biden On The Passing Of Former United States Senator of Michigan Carl Levin
- Warriors Introduce 2021 NBA Draft 1st Round Picks Moses Moody And Jonathan Kuminga
- Raiders Live: Bradley, Ngakoue, Moehrig and Thomas Presser – 7.30.21
- What’s On The Oakland City Council Agenda For Today July 30 2021? Can You Say Violence Prevention?
- Willie McGinest And Andrew Siciliano Need To Work On NFL Network Chemistry
- Olympics Baseball One time MLB vets lift Dominican Republic over Mexico