ONN – About Katie Bouman Creator Of First Black Hole Image From Event Horizon Telescope
Katie Bouman has worked on the imaging project for the Event Horizon Telescope for about 12 years.
Katie Bouman (or Katherine L. Bouman) first learned about the Event Horizon Telescope in 2007, back in high school in West Lafayette, Indiana, then pursued it as work in college at the University of Michigan. Now, Dr. Bouman is a post-doctoral fellow at MIT and Assistant Professor at Caltech, the California Institute Of Technology.
Here’s Professor Bouman’s TED Talk “How to take a picture of a black hole” from 2017:
"Meet Katie Bouman, who helped make the black hole image possible" https://t.co/2EqrgIbCGM
— Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) (@MIT) April 10, 2019
From the video page:
At the heart of the Milky Way, there’s a supermassive black hole that feeds off a spinning disk of hot gas, sucking up anything that ventures too close — even light. We can’t see it, but its event horizon casts a shadow, and an image of that shadow could help answer some important questions about the universe. Scientists used to think that making such an image would require a telescope the size of Earth — until Katie Bouman and a team of astronomers came up with a clever alternative. Bouman explains how we can take a picture of the ultimate dark using the Event Horizon Telescope.
Oakland News Now Note: this post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest version of an experimental Zennie62Media mobile media video-blogging system network – part of a new approach to the production of media. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and social media pages. The objective is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. We are constantly working to improve the system network coding and also seek interested content and media technology partners.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Hanging out on Fruitvale and Foothill in Oakland Ca
- BART Old and New Trains Around Oakland and Berkeley
- Amtrak Capital Corridor #527 train at The Fruitvale Ave Crossing in Oakland CA
- Oakland Gang Wars – The Story Of Keyshia Cole Part 1 || Early Life
- The Oakland A’s Fail to Produce Runs, Manaea Struggles, and the Padres Defeat Them Soundly
- Bike Oakland: East Oakland loop to Coliseum BART
- San Diego Padres vs Oakland Athletics Highlights 8/03/21
- Carroll Fife: Oakland City Council
- New asphalt in the Oakland neighborhood
- Raiders Live: Carr, Drake and Edwards Presser – 8.4.21
- Today Is My 59th Birthday: Zennie Abraham’s Take On His Day
- Las Vegas Raiders: Another Executive And 3 Players Quit Raiders Organization By Joseph Armendariz
- Sony Xperia 1 IV (2022) Official Trailer
- Sony: PS5 Shortage will Continue into 2022
- Corgis Singing Happy Birthday To Zennie Abraham
- Las Vegas Raiders Third Raider Player To Retire – Sam Young Announces Retirement By Eric Pangilinan
- Oakland Launches City’s First Tiny Home Village On City-Owned Parcel At Lake Merritt
- Best Highlights and Sounds From the First Padded Practice of 2021 Training Camp | Las Vegas Raiders
- Yan Gomes after homering in his first Oakland A’s game
- Solo walk around the world famous Lake Merritt in Oakland Ca. My first ever visit