Sacramento, CA — Assemblymember Buffy Wicks’ (D – Oakland) bid to take on Big Soda is going in front the California Assembly Health Committee today as the “Healthy Checkout Aisles for Healthy Families Act” progresses towards passage. Assembly Bill 765 will require stores to get rid of sugary, high calorie drinks from checkout aisles in an effort to aggressively combat California’s increasing obesity and diabetes rates.
“It’s time to end Big Soda’s lock on California consumers,” said Wicks. “The state needs to put out resident’s health first. Moving junk food out of the checkout aisles is a simple but powerful step to encourage healthier snack consumption.”
If passed, instead of looking at cans of coke and other sugary beverages, consumers will find only only milk, coffee or tea (with no added caloric sweeteners), 100% natural fruit juice, and 100% vegetable juice in the checkout area. Stores that don’t comply would face $1,000 fine per day for the first violation. The fine would increase for subsequent violations. If the legislation passes and gets signed by Governor Gavin Newsom the law would go into effect July 1, 2020.
The bill is part of a package of legislation aimed at cutting soda consumption throughout the state. The sweeping legislation includes a ban on “Big Gulp”-style sodas, bans on companies offering promotional incentives for all sugar-sweetened beverages and warning labels.
The law would apply to a number of stores, including any that meet one or more of these requirements:
Measure 10,000 square feet or more
Has a pharmacy license
Generate gross annual sales of $2 million or more
Sell groceries, canned goods, some perishable items, and nonfood items
Is a convenience food store, or foodmart, selling milk, bread, soda, and snack food
AB 765 is co-authored by Assemblymembers Rob Bonta (D- Alameda) and David Chiu (D- San Francisco). It is co-sponsored by California Medical Association and California Dental Association. Joining in support is American Cancer Society, Cancer Action Network, California Society of Pediatric Dentistry, Kern County Medical Society, Monterey County Medical Society, Orange County Medical Association, Placer Nevada County Medical Society, Public Health Institute (PHI), San Francisco Marin Medical Society, Santa Clara Medical Association, Sierra Sacramento Valley Medical Society and Tuolumne County Medical Society.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Cowboys vs Steelers – 2021 NFL Hall Of Fame Game NFL Draft Picks To Watch
- USS Hornet Car Show 2021, Alameda Ca, Lowriders, Bombitas, HD
- USS Hornet Car Show 2021, Alameda Ca, Lowriders, Bay Bombs CC 1941 Chevy RagTop
- Game Highlights: Oakland Roots SC vs. Phoenix Rising FC
- 4395 Piedmont Avenue Unit 307 Oakland, CA | ColdwellBankerHomes.com
- American Katie Nageotte goes from near-disaster to POLE VAULT GOLD | Tokyo Olympics | NBC Sports
- Las Vegas Raiders All Pro Linebacker K J Wright Visit The Raiders By Eric Pangilinan
- Kevin Durant Block Of Australian Olympics Basketball Player Layup Is Best Seen Freeze Frame
- ||The ACE Kids|| Visiting Oakland Zoo! PART 1
- Las Vegas Raiders Derek Carr Bryan Edwards Press Conference By Eric Pangilinan
- Las Vegas Raiders Jon Gruden Says Receiver Bryan Edwards Is Dynamic By Eric Pangilinan
- Are San Francisco’s ‘Tiny Homes’ the future of city housing? | ITV News
- San Francisco Cable Cars Are BACK – Lombard Street / Fishermans Wharf / Pier 39 / Boudin & Much MORE
- San Francisco Giants vs Arizona Diamondbacks Highlights August 4, 2021 – MLB Highlights | MLB 2021
- San Francisco Bay Area Reinstates Mask Order as Virus Surges
- What $3,488 Will Get You In San Francisco | Sweet Digs | Refinery29
- Mike McDaniel: Trey Lance Has a ‘Confident Swag’ | 49ers
- Plus Driverless Level 4 Truck on Highway Demo
- Covid Experts Send Message To Floridians Amid DeSantis Disinformation
- Worse Than Delta? Health Experts Worry About Future Variants