21st Annual OUSD Celebration of Latino Academic Excellence: “Our Beautiful Struggle / Nuestra Hermosa Lucha” Set for Thursday, March 25
Oakland – The OUSD Office of Equity Latino Student Achievement (LSA) and Oakland Latino Educators (OLE) will host the 21st Annual OUSD Celebration of Latino Academic Excellence for students across the District. This year our celebration will be pre-recorded, premiering on Thursday, March 25, at 5:00 p.m. Our theme for the celebration is Our Beautiful Struggle / Nuestra Hermosa Lucha to recognize the hope, resilience, and healing demonstrated by our Latino students and families during the pandemic.
OUSD educators, students and families have shown commitment and dedication to academic success despite the challenges of distance learning, the various levels of access to technology last spring and fall, and their having to navigate health and well being. To applaud our students’ achievements during this academic year, we will be expanding eligibility requirements from the traditional Latino Student Honor Roll. Until last year, we only celebrated cumulative GPAs. Now, it’s a celebration that includes all students in grades 6-12 who have maintained one or more of the following during distance learning:
Resilience, as nominated by school staff, but includes students navigating remote learning with a disability, housing insecurity, or juvenile justice experience
As a result, 5,308 Latino students will be celebrated in this event. And, a special recognition will be given to the 81 students who have excelled in all three categories by maintaining a 4.0 GPA and perfect attendance, while navigating their housing, juvenile justice and/or disability experience(s).
For many of our Latino students and families, this is a significant event they cherish and anticipate with great excitement every year. While it is not yet safe to gather in-person, uplifting and recognizing our students’ efforts to persevere continues to be a priority for us, especially as our students, families, and educators have weathered a global pandemic.
“I am excited for Our Beautiful Struggle / Nuestra Hermosa Lucha that celebrates our amazing and driven Latino students. The sense of accomplishment and pride in the eyes of our young people and their families as they are honored for their successes brings me such joy,” said Chief Academic Officer, Dr. Sondra Aguilera. “Oakland students have profound and remarkable talents and it’s critical that we honor them and their families as they persevere through these historic challenges. While we can’t come together in-person, I look forward to celebrating our students at this event, which means so much to our community.”
Post based on press release from OUSD to Zennie62Media, Inc,
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Miley Cyrus Performs Party in the USA Live at Lollapalooza 2021
- JOURNEY: “Separate Ways” Lollapalooza 2021 – Saturday July 31.
- NJOMZA backstage at Lollapalooza 2021
- JOURNEY: “Don’t Stop Believin’”Lollapalooza 2021 – Saturday July 31.
- G Herbo Live at Lollapalooza 2021
- MEGAN THEE STALLION: Lollapalooza 2021 – Sunday July 31.
- This Vegas Tourist Made This Video 1000x BETTER
- Las Vegas Raiders Jon Gruden Says Alex Leatherwood Already Plays Like A Veteran By Eric Pangilinan
- Peel-A-Pound Soup Recipe To Lose 15 Pounds In One Week
- The Rolling Stones Live In Oakland, October 31 1994 Video Of Concert Zennie Abraham Attended
- Home For Sale Oakland Just Listed | 1049 44th Ave, Oakland CA
- Downs Oakland Sunday Service 8.1.21
- Oakland A’s vs. LA Angels – MLB – Free Prediction – August 1 2021 – Ghost Picks Rich
- Oakland church teams up with Kaiser to administer COVID-19 vaccines to community
- Resurrection Oakland Church | August 1, 2021. 10am
- Allen Temple Baptist Church of Oakland August 1, 2021 Worship – Rev Dr Martha Taylor, Brother Michael McCants
- Las Vegas Raiders Could Derek Carr Lose Starting Job? To Marcus Mariota By Eric Pangilinan
- Saints Teaching Jameis Winston Classic Bill Walsh-Style Timed Pass In Training Camp
- Las Vegas Raiders : Vikings Zimmer Echoes Davis Sentiments As He Loses 3 QB’s By Joseph Armendariz
- Las Vegas Raiders Should NFL Allow Fans In Stadiums? With Delta Variant Going OnBy Eric Pangilinan