Melissa Benoist Supergirl Muscles: In 2015, First Female TV Superhero To Show Biceps | Female Muscle
December 14th 2015 at approximately 8:40 pm EST, Melissa Benoist as Supergirl became the first female TV superhero in pop culture history to show muscle – specifically biceps female bodybuilder – style. Now, in 2021, a lot has changed for Melissa. She’s now married to her once-on-screen love interest on Supergirl, Chris Wood, and they have a baby named Huxley Robert Wood. But we can’t forget that she made pop-culture history playing Kara Danvers in Supergirl.
In catching and lifting a giant portion of a destroyed building up, up and away from a group of people during her fight with Astrid, Supergirl / Melissa Benoist did something that Wonder Woman, The Bionic Woman, Helen Slater’s Supergirl, and no other television Supergirl, including Jessica Jones and Agent Carter, have ever done.
But beyond that scene, Melissa Benoist’s workout routine had sculpted an obviously strong woman. Moreover, in the final first season episode, she gained the confidence she was building toward for the entire season.
Supergirl is a path-breaking show in America, in that it also shows straight black men (Mechad Brooks as Jimmy Olson) in romantic relationships with white and Latina women, and also desired by them.
Commonly, black men have been portrayed as thugs or gay or just without a love interest on American television and while black women with white men is common, black men with white women is rare; Supergirl breaks the mold. In Mechad Brooks as Jimmy Olson, Supergirl shows black men for what we are as normal mainstream people in the USA. It is an image that was a long time coming.
I think Supergirl‘s success stems from the fact that it shows society as it really is. A great deal of thanks is due the cast and creators of Supergirl for this much needed gift.
Today, Supergirl is still going on, and Benoist has launched her own production company called Three Things Productions. Looks like the costume muscles were real, after all.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Rebecca Kaplan Asks Oakland City Council To Back MACRO, WNBA Coliseum Lease
- How Skateboarding, Surfing, and Climbing Became Olympic Sports | World Debut
- Canada’s Maggie MacNeil wins gold in women’s 100m butterfly nailbiter | Tokyo Olympics | NBC Sports
- Ariarne Titmus dethrones Katie Ledecky for women’s 400m freestyle gold | Tokyo Olympics | NBC Sports
- USA vs. Kenya | Tokyo Olympics 2020: Men’s Rugby Highlights | NBC Sports
- Fiji vs. Japan | Tokyo Olympics 2020: Men’s Rugby Highlights | NBC Sports
- Sweet July Cafe At 455 23rd Street Oakland Focus Of Email Marketing Scam By Restaurantji.com
- Team USA Men’s Basketball Suffers Stunning Loss to France in the Olympics | CBS Sports HQ
- A’s President Dave Kaval Talks To Chris Maathuis On Las Vegas Ballpark
- Keep Oakland Schools Segregated? Part 1 Webinar
- Oakland A’s Begin Stadium Design Process in Las Vegas
- Oakland Preservation Park: Pardee Home
- Exploring the Oakland City Center : Oakland City Center: Frank H. Ogawa Statue
- Exploring the Oakland City Center : Oakland City Center: Elihu M. Harris State Building
- Exploring the Oakland City Center : Oakland City Center: Lionel J. Wilson Building
- Exploring the Oakland City Center : Oakland City Center: Mix of Modern & Historic Buildings
- Exploring the Oakland City Center : Oakland City Center: John B. Williams Plaza
- Oakland City Center: Courtyard and the Ronald Dellums Federal Building
- Exploring the Oakland City Center : Oakland City Center: Rotunda Building
- On Oakland A’s Howard Terminal Ballpark District: TIF Revenue vs Impact Fees For Affordable Housing