Dear Oakland Unified Community,
Here in Women’s History Month, on March 8, we celebrate International Women’s Day. This is a day that holds special meaning to me because of all the remarkable and powerful women in my life. The whole reason I am even in education is the influence that my mother and grandmother had over me, both of them being former teachers here in OUSD. I know without their passion, their commitment to our kids, their desire to make a difference in Oakland, I very well may have ended up in a different line of work. And I am ever so grateful to be right here, supporting the girls and women of OUSD.
According to www.internationalwomensday.com, “International Women’s Day is a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. The day also marks a call to action for accelerating gender parity.”
As a district in one of the most international cities in the world, always working for gender parity and celebrating the successes of women, I have to say that we could not do all that we do for Oakland public school students without the heroic efforts of all the women who work here. To the teachers, the principals, the paraeducators, the nutrition services team, the custodians, front office staff, the central office team, the Board Directors, all of our amazing partners, and everyone in between, I say the District would not stand a chance without the incredible work that all of you do everyday. Thank you for supporting our students and families.
Of course, I have to give a shout out to the young women of OUSD. From our preschool girls to our graduating seniors, you are our future. It is because of your brilliance, your dedication, your ability to survive and thrive during a worldwide pandemic, that I know our future is in good hands. OUSD will always be here for you, and we will be enthusiastically cheering you on as you travel your life’s journey.
I would be remiss if I did not thank our families, as well. To the mothers, grandmothers, sisters, aunts, cousins and other female caregivers, thank you for supporting our students and their efforts to navigate our increasingly complex world. Just like the women in my life, I know that our girls are getting guidance and support that will lead them to amazing places. Thank you.
Lastly, as Oakland’s own, Vice President Kamala Harris, said on social media today,
On this #InternationalWomensDay, I want to honor the women who for over a year have gone to work, often risking their health, to nourish and protect us – the doctors, nurses, teachers, grocery store workers, first responders, members of the military, scientists, and many more… To all the women of America: I want you to know that the President and I see you. We are grateful for you.
Having a female Vice President – from Oakland, no less – shows truly how far we, as a nation, have come. Today and everyday, I hope all girls in OUSD now see that, for them, the sky is truly the limit.
Dr. Kyla Johnson-Trammell
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Boxing Deontay Wilder Says Tyson Fury Lying About Getting Covid,By Eric Pangilinan
- Oakland’s West Oakland Homeless Population, Small Business, Need AB 464 For Economic Development
- Las Vegas Raiders Derek Carr Says He Feels A Sense Of Urgency With The Defense,By Eric Pangilinan
- Las Vegas Raiders RTC Offering Express Buss Service To Allegiant Stadium,By Eric Pangilinan
- Festival At The Lake Oakland, CA
- Las Vegas Raiders: Breaking News Regarding Theo Riddick and Kenyan Drake By Joseph Armendariz
- Video Tour of 719 Mandana Blvd, Oakland
- Video Tour of 330 13th St Unit 3B in Oakland
- Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Authority Unanimously Approves Term Sheet for African- American Led Group to Bring WNBA Team to Oakland
- Las Vegas Raiders: Has Gus Bradley Brought Back Commitment To Excellence? By Joseph Armendariz
- Bike San Francisco: Market St: Ferry to the Castro, then Twin Peaks fog & return.
- Carroll Fife Live Discussion – Black Arts and Culture in Oakland, TONIGHT at 6:30 pm!
- 5735 Claremont Ave Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale
- CHP releases video of a reckless driver and passengers in Oakland
- Statement By President Joe Biden On The Passing Of Former United States Senator of Michigan Carl Levin
- Warriors Introduce 2021 NBA Draft 1st Round Picks Moses Moody And Jonathan Kuminga
- Raiders Live: Bradley, Ngakoue, Moehrig and Thomas Presser – 7.30.21
- What’s On The Oakland City Council Agenda For Today July 30 2021? Can You Say Violence Prevention?
- Willie McGinest And Andrew Siciliano Need To Work On NFL Network Chemistry
- Olympics Baseball One time MLB vets lift Dominican Republic over Mexico