Rebeca Kaplan, the Oakland City Councilmember’s At-Large Representative, Effectively Used All Media To Gain Passage of Mobile Assistance Community Responders of Oakland (MACRO), in partnership with the Oakland Fire Department
Here’s the press release sent by The Office of Oakland City Councilmember Rebeca Kaplan:
Oakland – Today, Oakland City Council unanimously passed resolutions to approve two proposals introduced by Vice-Mayor Rebecca Kaplan to improve safety and economic opportunity. Kaplan introduced a proposal to launch MACRO in-house through the Oakland Fire Department; and a resolution to unfreeze already funded (Fund 2415) permits processing positions in the Building Department.
Both proposals received unanimous support from the Oakland community, grassroot organizations, and the full City Council. Vice Mayor Kaplan is thankful for the overwhelming response and looks forward to the implementation of these council directives that speak to the needs of the Oakland community.
More information the Vice Mayor Kaplan’s proposals:
Item 8: Unfreeze and Authorize Development Services Fund (Fund 2415) Positions
The City Council has received reports from the administration expressing concerns about the drop in tax revenue. In addition, community members and stakeholders have expressed difficulty with the slowness of accessing the city’s permit process, which is impeding the building of housing and the opening of businesses. Kaplan seeks to utilize funds in 2415 for the purpose they were created – – to support the City’s development activities, by unfreezing the vacant positions and allowing for a faster permitting process.
This will allow housing and other needed projects to advance more quickly, improve the ability of businesses to open and expand, and provide revenue to fund vital services while growing jobs. In addition to unfreezing numerous positions, this resolution would provide a full-time position in the Human Resources Department. This new Analyst would be responsible for expeditiously hiring the positions funded by Fund 2415, which include positions in the Planning and Building, and Transportation Departments, which are essential to perform the City’s development activities. These vacancies have contributed to the economic hardship to the public through reduction in jobs and business opportunities, as well as reduced tax revenue that is needed to fund vital public services. Therefore, unfreezing these revenue generating positions would allow the community to continue to build and reopen.
Memo and Resolution: https://oakland.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=4774106&GUID=BCB40A62-ACE8-4352-A3CF-0B975D688551
Item 7: Launching (MACRO) In-House
Kaplan’s proposal to launch in-house the city’s Mobile Assistance Community Responders of Oakland (“MACRO”), in partnership with the Oakland Fire Department (“OFD”), is feasible and would ensure the expansion and sustainability of the program beyond the launch. Fire fighters have already expressed their willingness to support our community in this effort. OFD already accommodates first responders with a 9-1-1 dispatch system. They are accustomed to operating day and night as well and can effectively house MACRO. Council President Nikki Bas and Councilmember Kalb supported this idea and announced a resolution to expedite the process of in-housing the MACRO program.
Congratulations to Councilmember Kaplan.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Boxing Deontay Wilder Says Tyson Fury Lying About Getting Covid,By Eric Pangilinan
- Oakland’s West Oakland Homeless Population, Small Business, Need AB 464 For Economic Development
- Las Vegas Raiders Derek Carr Says He Feels A Sense Of Urgency With The Defense,By Eric Pangilinan
- Las Vegas Raiders RTC Offering Express Buss Service To Allegiant Stadium,By Eric Pangilinan
- Festival At The Lake Oakland, CA
- Las Vegas Raiders: Breaking News Regarding Theo Riddick and Kenyan Drake By Joseph Armendariz
- Video Tour of 719 Mandana Blvd, Oakland
- Video Tour of 330 13th St Unit 3B in Oakland
- Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Authority Unanimously Approves Term Sheet for African- American Led Group to Bring WNBA Team to Oakland
- Las Vegas Raiders: Has Gus Bradley Brought Back Commitment To Excellence? By Joseph Armendariz
- Bike San Francisco: Market St: Ferry to the Castro, then Twin Peaks fog & return.
- Carroll Fife Live Discussion – Black Arts and Culture in Oakland, TONIGHT at 6:30 pm!
- 5735 Claremont Ave Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale
- CHP releases video of a reckless driver and passengers in Oakland
- Statement By President Joe Biden On The Passing Of Former United States Senator of Michigan Carl Levin
- Warriors Introduce 2021 NBA Draft 1st Round Picks Moses Moody And Jonathan Kuminga
- Raiders Live: Bradley, Ngakoue, Moehrig and Thomas Presser – 7.30.21
- What’s On The Oakland City Council Agenda For Today July 30 2021? Can You Say Violence Prevention?
- Willie McGinest And Andrew Siciliano Need To Work On NFL Network Chemistry
- Olympics Baseball One time MLB vets lift Dominican Republic over Mexico