Oakland — Oakland’s Vice-Mayor Rebecca Kaplan is introducing a resolution designed to add support to the Building and Planning department at the March 2, 2021, City Council meeting.
Kaplan’s proposed resolution would promote the development and reopening of businesses, thus creating revenue and a healthier economic recovery for the City of Oakland. The City Council has received reports from the administration expressing concerns about the drop in tax revenue. In addition, community members and stakeholders have expressed difficulty about the slowness of accessing the city’s permit process, which is impeding the building of housing and the opening of businesses. Vice Mayor Kaplan has learned that many permit positions were mistakenly frozen — and the lack of adequate staffing in Development Services funded positions is impeding responsiveness to the public and impeding Oakland’s economic recovery.
In 2006, the Council created the Development Services Fund (Fund 2415) to account for the revenues and expenditures related to development and enforcement activities in the City of Oakland. Fund 2415 has a large unexpended fund balance. Kaplan seeks to utilize these funds for the purpose they were created – – to support the City’s development activities, by unfreezing the vacant positions and allowing for a faster permitting process.
Kaplan’s Resolution would provide a full time position in the Human Resources Department. This new Analyst would be responsible for expeditiously hiring the positions funded by Fund 2415, which include positions in the Planning and Building, and Transportation Departments, which are essential to perform the City’s development activities. These vacancies have contributed to the economic hardship to the public through reduction in jobs and business opportunities, as well as reduced tax revenue that is needed to fund vital public services. Therefore, Vice Mayor Kaplan is calling on her colleagues to aid the City of Oakland’s recovery by unfreezing these revenue generating positions to allow the community to continue to build and reopen.
Memo and Resolution: https://oakland.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=4774106&GUID=BCB40A62-ACE8-4352-A3CF-0B975D688551
March 2, 2021, Oakland City Council Meeting Information:
Webinar ID: 846 5468 3164
2/20 Vice Mayor Kaplan’s Tweet Regarding action to fix permit backlog and frozen positions: https://twitter.com/kaplan4oakland/status/1363203031622316033?s=21
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Corgis Singing Happy Birthday
- Las Vegas Raiders Third Raider Player To Retire Sam Young Announces Retirement By Eric Pangilinan
- Oakland Launches City’s First Tiny Home Village On City-Owned Parcel At Lake Merritt
- Best Highlights and Sounds From the First Padded Practice of 2021 Training Camp | Las Vegas Raiders
- Yan Gomes after homering in his first Oakland A’s game
- Solo walk around the world famous Lake Merritt in Oakland Ca. My first ever visit
- Oakland Adams Point National Night Out Block Party Tonight Aug 3 5 PM-8PM, Van Buren Av & Bellevue
- Boxing Promoter Bob Arum Setting Up A Fight Between Tyson Fury And Anthony Joshua By Eric Pangilinan
- Las Vegas Raiders Lose Second Player To Retirement Jalen Richard Returns By Eric Pangilinan
- Las Vegas Raiders Josh Jacobs Excited For First Day At Training Camp With Pads By Eric Pangilinan
- Las Vegas Raiders New Receiver John Brown Praises QB Derek Carr By Eric Pangilinan
- First day with pads. Aug 3, 2021
- Boeing Starliner Launch Canceled For Today August 3 2021 Due To Propulsion System
- LIVE Launch Of Boeing / NASA Starliner To The ISS
- Simone Biles wins bronze medal in balance beam final after taking time off for mental health
- Retired Cop Reacts to Guy Stealing Toyota Sienna in Oakland – Private Investigator
- OUSD Celebrates New Facilities Across Oakland For First Day of School, August 9 2021
- Watch Simone Biles’ podium training routine ahead of beam comeback | Tokyo Olympics | NBC Sports
- Best of Day 10 at the Tokyo Olympics: Simone Biles will compete in beam final | NBC Sports
- Simone Biles motivate Jade Carey for winning gold medal in floor exercise, Olympics highlights video