The Serena Williams vs Naomi Osaka Australian Open match was punctuated not just by the amazing play of the record-holder in prize money that is Ms. Osaka in winning 6-3, 6-4 over THE QUEEN, but the eruption of anger Twitter users expressed with commentator Chris Evert Lloyd, AKA Chris Evert.
BREAKING NEWS: Engine On Fire on United Airlines B-777 Bound For Hawaii.
Ms. Evert, the American former world No. 1 tennis player that this blogger has long rooted for (except when she played against Martina Navratilova), was seemingly stuck on making Serena Williams out to be a drama queen. That, even though no one called Williams’s previous opponent, 6-foot-tall Aryna Sabalenka, a crybaby for yelling in Russian and slamming her racket to the court with such force, she caused a tiny earthquake. Not kidding, look:
Serena Williams never catches a break with the older white television announcer crew, and this time it was so obvious, millions of viewers would have been happy if Chris Evert’s mic were shut off, for good. I am a fan of Chris Evert, so this is not fun to write; it’s more of a wake-up call for her.
Take a look at these tweets.
Chris Evert really needs a new job other than riding Serena all match
— Danny Says (@DanielonMeds) February 18, 2021
Yea…..if you don’t pay attention to the commentary you rarely catch it. But I’ve been watching for so long I catch and listen to everything they say. Chris Evert though is by far the worse of that whole crew
— ✨⚡️💜 *S. Janelle* 💪🏾🏀💜 (@S_JanelleB) February 18, 2021
love how chris evert is finally trending for being a horrendous commentator
— mister twister (@mistert19066387) February 18, 2021
Yes they were! https://t.co/nkuB6MXawQ
— BJ Jones (@InsideHBCUFball) February 18, 2021
I really don’t like how Chris Evert talks about Serena. Am I the only one?
— Matt Hodler (@MHodler) February 18, 2021
can’t believe they have jealous spiteful hatin ass chris evert on the call
— alexis robinson (@_alexismarie24) February 18, 2021
Is there a way to mute Chris Evert? With all of the technology in world how have we not solved for this? #AustralianOpen2021
�� Richelle Tucker, Esq. (@richellejtucker) February 18, 2021
I can’t watch Serena because of Chris Evert, she is the most racist/jealous against Serena. She always the commentator for everyone of her games, why? From the look of these comments, I’m not alone noticing her jealous behavior.
— Sister_64 (@sister_64) February 18, 2021
Do the commentators hate Serena???
— Lil Wow Wow ✨ (@Flowerchiiile) February 18, 2021
I was really rooting for Serena I think I started to “invest” in her success right after she had her daughter and was told her uniform was not approved. Then I really learned how a sport and ingrained racism is approved by society. What Chris Evert said today was just that racism
— AppelquistP (@AppelquistP) February 18, 2021
Maybe it’s time for Chris Evert to take her racism and jealousy and retire. Her commentary isn’t interesting and it’s clearly biased. I’m tired of her. Maybe it’s time for someone younger with a fresh approach! Networks, ATP are you listening?
— No It’s Not (@noitsnottt) February 18, 2021
Naomi is the best player in the game and if on her A-game no one is going to beat her in the next ten years. Serena is Willie Mays in 1973, fading greatness. I can’t see Serena ever beating her. Chris Evert is a biased, mediocre broadcaster.
— George Glennon (@GeorgeGlennonG2) February 18, 2021
Deleted negative Chris Evert tweet. Time to move on. Congrats to Naomi and the GOAT Serena. Beautiful, powerful, talented Black women.
— Juju (@juju_bad) February 18, 2021
And that wasn’t even half of the total number of tweets completely hating on Chris Evert. Knowing ESPN’s current economic problems, the match producers probably encouraged Chris Evert to aim negative comments at Serena Williams, just for social media attention for the program.
A better approach would be for Chris to take us inside the mind of Serena, and the technical aspect of her game, and why is it or is not working. Audiences today are very smart, and would appreciate such a perspective.
UPDATE: Chris Evert Responds To Twitter Criticism, At Least To One Person, While Others Come To Her Defense
Because you’re my friend my response was, she was either showing gratitude for their support or saying goodbYe to The Australian Open. Period. https://t.co/ToqhfjLnn7
— Chris Evert (@ChrissieEvert) February 18, 2021
@ChrissieEvert please retire. Viewers frankly deserve better than you can offer at this point. You've had a long career in tennis and, at a certain point, you're just overstaying your welcome. Also, anyone who watched that match live understood what you're implying #justop
— Reginald Powell (@theresultsphase) February 18, 2021
You really should learn some respect. And strongly consider apologizing for this trolling.
— JC- ⭕️ (@JoshCohenRadio) February 18, 2021
But your reaction isn't remotely genuine. It's the same trolling that people do with Troy Aikmen/Joe Buck. Unfounded and unwarranted hating isn't legit criticism.
— NC-Skins (@skins_nc) February 18, 2021
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Rebecca Kaplan Asks Oakland City Council To Back MACRO, WNBA Coliseum Lease
- How Skateboarding, Surfing, and Climbing Became Olympic Sports | World Debut
- Canada’s Maggie MacNeil wins gold in women’s 100m butterfly nailbiter | Tokyo Olympics | NBC Sports
- Ariarne Titmus dethrones Katie Ledecky for women’s 400m freestyle gold | Tokyo Olympics | NBC Sports
- USA vs. Kenya | Tokyo Olympics 2020: Men’s Rugby Highlights | NBC Sports
- Fiji vs. Japan | Tokyo Olympics 2020: Men’s Rugby Highlights | NBC Sports
- Sweet July Cafe At 455 23rd Street Oakland Focus Of Email Marketing Scam By Restaurantji.com
- Team USA Men’s Basketball Suffers Stunning Loss to France in the Olympics | CBS Sports HQ
- A’s President Dave Kaval Talks To Chris Maathuis On Las Vegas Ballpark
- Keep Oakland Schools Segregated? Part 1 Webinar
- Oakland A’s Begin Stadium Design Process in Las Vegas
- Oakland Preservation Park: Pardee Home
- Exploring the Oakland City Center : Oakland City Center: Frank H. Ogawa Statue
- Exploring the Oakland City Center : Oakland City Center: Elihu M. Harris State Building
- Exploring the Oakland City Center : Oakland City Center: Lionel J. Wilson Building
- Exploring the Oakland City Center : Oakland City Center: Mix of Modern & Historic Buildings
- Exploring the Oakland City Center : Oakland City Center: John B. Williams Plaza
- Oakland City Center: Courtyard and the Ronald Dellums Federal Building
- Exploring the Oakland City Center : Oakland City Center: Rotunda Building
- On Oakland A’s Howard Terminal Ballpark District: TIF Revenue vs Impact Fees For Affordable Housing