Port of Oakland video signals change in Port’s future CMA CGM’s direct Asia service shows Oakland’s import cargo potential
Oakland – Port of Oakland says its business model is changing with the commitment by CMA CGM, a world leader in shipping and logistics, to launch a new direct service from Asia to the Port of Oakland. Oakland’s Mayor and the Port’s Executive Director pointed out important benefits.
“Congratulations to the Port of Oakland and CMA CGM on this first port of call service,” said Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf in a video statement. “This service signals the significance of the Port of Oakland in the global goods movement supply chain, and it means economic opportunity for Oakland and the entire region.”
Port of Oakland Executive Director Danny Wan highlighted business and community benefits, “Thank you CMA CGM for this first port of call service. It allows more imports to come directly to Oakland from Asia which helps us grow our container business while providing more jobs.”
The new Golden Gate Bridge service made its first North America stop at the Port of Oakland February 12, 2021, connecting the Shanghai, Yantian and Kaohsiung ports to Oakland.
“This opens up so many possibilities,” said Port of Oakland Maritime Director Bryan Brandes. “Our customers can significantly improve the transit time for getting their products to consumers with a first-call and also use Oakland to reach the U.S. interior through our rail connections.”
“The CMA CGM Group is pleased to introduce this Golden Gate Bridge service as we seek new ways to provide our customers with differentiated services, fast transit times and efficient access to their inland destinations,” said Ed Aldridge, President of CMA CGM America and APL North America. “We look forward to working closely with the Port of Oakland to help customers increase their speed to market and infuse more consistency into their supply chains.”
First-call service is expected to boost rail shipments from Oakland. Imports headed for interior U.S. markets like Chicago or Memphis are offloaded on the West Coast and transported by rail to reach mid-west markets. This new service is expected to reduce the overall transit time to U.S. interior markets, which is important to cargo owners who want to get their products to consumers as fast as possible.
There’s been significant e-commerce growth in the U.S. posing challenges for shippers. The Golden Gate Bridge service at Oakland provides a viable option to traditional shipping routes.
Golden Gate Bridge service details below:
Operator – CMA CGM
Service schedule – weekly
Port rotation — Shanghai, Yantian, Oakland, Seattle, Kaohsiung;
Transit times — Yantian-to-Oakland, 12 days; Shanghai-to-Oakland, 17 days; Oakland-to-Kaohsiung, 19 days;
Oakland berthing – Oakland International Container Terminal.
About the Port of Oakland
The Port of Oakland oversees the Oakland Seaport, Oakland International Airport, and nearly 20 miles of waterfront including Jack London Square. The Port’s 5-year strategic plan – Growth with Care – pairs business expansion with community benefits, envisioning more jobs and economic stimulus as the Port grows. Together with its business partners, the Port supports more than 84,000 jobs. Connect with the Port of Oakland and Oakland International Airport through Facebook, or with the Port on Twitter, YouTube, and at www.portofoakland.com.
Post based on press release from Port of Oakland to Zennie62Media
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Corgis Singing Happy Birthday
- Las Vegas Raiders Third Raider Player To Retire Sam Young Announces Retirement By Eric Pangilinan
- Oakland Launches City’s First Tiny Home Village On City-Owned Parcel At Lake Merritt
- Best Highlights and Sounds From the First Padded Practice of 2021 Training Camp | Las Vegas Raiders
- Yan Gomes after homering in his first Oakland A’s game
- Solo walk around the world famous Lake Merritt in Oakland Ca. My first ever visit
- Oakland Adams Point National Night Out Block Party Tonight Aug 3 5 PM-8PM, Van Buren Av & Bellevue
- Boxing Promoter Bob Arum Setting Up A Fight Between Tyson Fury And Anthony Joshua By Eric Pangilinan
- Las Vegas Raiders Lose Second Player To Retirement Jalen Richard Returns By Eric Pangilinan
- Las Vegas Raiders Josh Jacobs Excited For First Day At Training Camp With Pads By Eric Pangilinan
- Las Vegas Raiders New Receiver John Brown Praises QB Derek Carr By Eric Pangilinan
- First day with pads. Aug 3, 2021
- Boeing Starliner Launch Canceled For Today August 3 2021 Due To Propulsion System
- LIVE Launch Of Boeing / NASA Starliner To The ISS
- Simone Biles wins bronze medal in balance beam final after taking time off for mental health
- Retired Cop Reacts to Guy Stealing Toyota Sienna in Oakland – Private Investigator
- OUSD Celebrates New Facilities Across Oakland For First Day of School, August 9 2021
- Watch Simone Biles’ podium training routine ahead of beam comeback | Tokyo Olympics | NBC Sports
- Best of Day 10 at the Tokyo Olympics: Simone Biles will compete in beam final | NBC Sports
- Simone Biles motivate Jade Carey for winning gold medal in floor exercise, Olympics highlights video