The Pandemic, and the close-but-don’t-compensate business policy that’s a response to it, and has wrecked California’s Economy, has hurt many popular restaurants and bars like The Alley Cat Bar and now Rio California at 1233 Preservation Park Way, Oakland.
I mention Rio California because it was and remains one of the favorite places for City of Oakland workers to grab a bit of brazilian cuisine during lunch time. It was also the haunt of my old business attorney William Taylor. As I recall, David Glover, the late Oakland Citizen’s Committee for Urban Renewal (OCCUR) honcho, and I ate there once. Even Jerry Brown was known to eat there when he was Mayor of Oakland. Indeed, many Oaklanders have been to Rio California at least once, and for good reason.
Rio California was one of the pioneer restaurants to give the then-new Oakland City Center Complex a chance. The 12-block project of the Oakland Redevelopment Agency, and the lynchpin dream of Oakland revitalization spearheaded by the late Oakland Redevelopment Agency Director John Williams, took a while to fill-up with places to eat because, prior to Oakland City Center, there was really no there, there. Steve Wuebens’ Gertrude Stein, and two other eateries, joined Rio California as the first restaurants in Oakland City Center in the late 1990s. Of all of the pioneer restaurants that helped Downtown Oakland become the place to be, only Rio California and Le Chaval over in Old Oakland remains.
Now, it needs our help to save it. Go here at http://www.riocalifornia.com/, and order a meal for take out or delivery via Door Dash.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Oakland Strong Mayor Government Caused City Managment Instability Over The Years
- Steven Donziger Convicted Of Criminal Contempt Of Judge Lewis Lapham
- Oakland Gang Wars – Best Upcoming Rappers In Oakland Part 1
- Boxing Paradigm Sports Still Trying To Stop Manny Pacquaio Errol Spence Fight By Eric Pangilinan
- Miley Cyrus Performs Party in the USA Live at Lollapalooza 2021
- JOURNEY: “Separate Ways” Lollapalooza 2021 – Saturday July 31.
- NJOMZA backstage at Lollapalooza 2021
- JOURNEY: “Don’t Stop Believin’”Lollapalooza 2021 – Saturday July 31.
- G Herbo Live at Lollapalooza 2021
- MEGAN THEE STALLION: Lollapalooza 2021 – Sunday July 31.
- This Vegas Tourist Made This Video 1000x BETTER
- Las Vegas Raiders Jon Gruden Says Alex Leatherwood Already Plays Like A Veteran By Eric Pangilinan
- Peel-A-Pound Soup Recipe To Lose 15 Pounds In One Week
- The Rolling Stones Live In Oakland, October 31 1994 Video Of Concert Zennie Abraham Attended
- Home For Sale Oakland Just Listed | 1049 44th Ave, Oakland CA
- Downs Oakland Sunday Service 8.1.21
- Oakland A’s vs. LA Angels – MLB – Free Prediction – August 1 2021 – Ghost Picks Rich
- Oakland church teams up with Kaiser to administer COVID-19 vaccines to community
- Resurrection Oakland Church | August 1, 2021. 10am
- Allen Temple Baptist Church of Oakland August 1, 2021 Worship – Rev Dr Martha Taylor, Brother Michael McCants