The Oakland Mayor’s Office sent this press release to Zennie62Media.
OAKLAND, CA — Today Mayor Libby Schaaf, TransForm and Lyft announced a groundbreaking new joint partnership designed to bring more transportation options to historically underserved Oaklanders. This unique coming-together of government, business, and the non-profit sector will invest in community-led transportation solutions, including a new free bike library, free Lyft rides for low-income residents, and new community parklets.
#HappeningNow @ScraperBikeTeam, @Oakland Mayor @LibbySchaaf & @lyft co-founder @johnzimmer announcing $1 Mil #transportation #equality initiative to bring better options to #Oakland residents. #publictransportation #scraperbike pic.twitter.com/ip48jVbAe4
— Jacob Unger (@JacobUnger) February 11, 2019
“We know that transportation means more than just a way to get around – it’s a key to social and economic mobility,” said Mayor Schaaf. “This exciting partnership is about undoing the wrongs of the past, building the sustainable future our city needs, and putting us on the track toward a multimodal transportation network that truly meets the needs of all Oaklanders.”
“At Lyft, we believe it is our civic responsibility to make cities better places to live,” said Lyft Co-Founder and President John Zimmer. “We know that transportation is a major key to unlocking economic mobility. We also know that transportation has been inaccessible for far too many communities for far too long. We have a unique opportunity to set a new standard for transportation equity and inclusiveness.”
“Low-income residents and communities of color have been passed over time and time again by transportation investment,” said Clarrissa Cabansagan, TransForm’s New Mobility Policy Director. “We’ve worked with local partners for years to press government and tech mobility companies to serve East Oakland, and it’s finally happening. The best part is that Lyft is giving East Oaklanders the reins to determine how new mobility options will serve them.”
“The Scraper Bike Team is excited to be a partner on this program to empower black and brown residents and get more butts on bikes!” said Champ Stevenson, Jr., Founder and Executive Director of the Scraper Bike Team. “We’ll help make sure the programs and infrastructure reflect the existing community and culture here in deep East Oakland. We plan on employing folks from the community to assist with some of the equity work that will move Oakland in the direction we the people believe it needs to be moving in.”
Today Lyft is donating $700,000 toward a $1 million capacity-building grant to TransForm and their partner organizations, East Oakland Collective and Scraper Bikes, to support their work on three key initiatives that will address historic transportation inequities in Oakland:
1. Community-Driven Placemaking
TransForm will convene a network of East Oakland organizations to help guide a participatory design process for the creation of new parklets and future bike share stations in East Oakland. This innovative, community-driven process will focus on how bike share stations can improve placemaking, build community ownership, and support local businesses.
2. Mobility4All Partnership
Lyft and TransForm will fund the East Oakland Collective to pilot a free ride program for underserved populations. Qualifying residents will have access to subsidized AC Transit passes, free Lyft rides and Lyft’s $5/month Community Pass for bikes and scooters.
3. Bike Library at the Shed
Lyft and TransForm will work with Scraper Bikes to establish a free, community-run bike lending library at The Shed. A portion of the bikes will be made available for month-long lending — including bikes that serve the needs of families with young children.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Upcoming Events at Allen Temple Baptist Church Oakland for the week of 7/25/21
- The Making Of and Story Behind the Bucs Super Bowl LV Championship Ring
- Oakland Police Missing Person Xian Zhou 85 Years Old Last Seen In Chinatown
- Oakland Road Rage SB On Warren Freeway HWY 13 Near Montclair
- Tokyo Olympics 2021 Opening Ceremony | Drone Show | Drone Display | Olympic 2021 Drone Show Preview
- CBC News: The National | Tokyo 2020 kicks off, Breakthrough COVID cases, Operation Butterfly
- Family Of Miami’s Eddy Alvarez Watch Proudly As He Carries American Flag At Olympics Opening Ceremon
- Piedmont Pines Oakland Phase 2 Utility Undergrounding Owners’ Webinar.5.20.21
- #DRE West Oakland – Friend’s Captions (Official Video) | Dir. @Benzocl9
- Parent Power 2021: Lakisha Young and Dr. Bernice King
- Boxing Manny Pacquaio Will Be The Underdog Vs Errol Spence By Eric Pangilinan
- Howard Terminal Update: Oakland City Council, Mayor, Confused About Affordable Housing, TIF Revenue
- LOGAN PAUL’S SURPRISING CALL FROM DANA WHITE…
- Cleveland Indians To Rebrand As The Guardians In 2022, thoughts and reactions: Vinny Lospinuso
- Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce Up From 99 Cents To $2.19 At Kroger Fayetteville GA
- Oakland Gang Wars – Address Haters , Snitching , & “ Draco The Police “ Comments ‼️
- Las Vegas Raiders Training Camp Preview Defense Players That Need To Improve,By Eric Pangilinan
- Dominic Tauane railfanning Oakland Jack London Square
- Rotary Club of Oakland demotion of President Ces Butner – June 24, 2021
- Rotary Club of Oakland Civic Thursday Meeting, July 16, 2021