Wedgewood: “This is progress that everyone should agree is a step in the right direction in helping to address Oakland’s homelessness and housing crisis”
Wedgewood is thankful for the outpouring of support for our company throughout the illegal occupation of our Oakland property. We appreciate the local, state and national support for property owners as well as the public’s support for non-violent discussion and action.
Throughout this time we continued to express our heartfelt sympathy for the homeless and the impacts of the housing crisis.
Revitalizing communities and being a good neighbor is central to Wedgewood’s culture. Our ongoing efforts to improve the neighborhoods where we acquire properties creates new employment opportunities and rehabilitated homes. Since our founding, we have invested in and given back to communities through our partnerships with organizations such as Shelter 37, Sharefest, Safe Place for Youth, the Boys and Girls Club, and other non-profits.
Wedgewood has always been and continues to be open to thoughtful and purposeful discussions. After regaining possession of Magnolia Street, we engaged in discussions with Gov. Gavin Newsom, Mayor Libby Schaaf, and Councilman Larry Reid. These led to progress that everyone should agree is a step in the right direction in helping to address Oakland’s homelessness and housing crisis.
We are honored and inspired to collaborate with the City of Oakland on reasonable, thoughtful, and organized actions to address the issue of homelessness and housing.
Sam Singer, Wedgewood spokesman
This on the news from the Mayor of Oakland that Wedgewood, the Office of Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf and Moms 4 Housing have reached an agreement on the 2928 Magnolia Street Property
Wedgewood will negotiate in good faith with the Oakland Community Land Trust (OakCLT) to purchase the Magnolia Street Property for a price not to exceed the appraised value.
Wedgewood will work with the City of Oakland’s Housing and Community Development Department and the Oakland Community Land Trust to negotiate a right of first refusal program on Oakland properties owned by the company.
Wedgewood will use Oakland apprentices from local programs, starting with Cypress Mandela, that serve traditionally excluded workers and youth on all its other renovation projects in Oakland.
Wedgewood will work within its industry to encourage other real estate organizations to give the first right of refusal to community land trusts and then to nonprofit affordable housing organizations or to government for use as permanently protected affordable housing.
The Office of the Mayor will maintain an Advisory Board on Community Ownership of Housing, co-chaired by a member of Moms 4 Housing, that will monitor the ACAH and be a resource for the expansion of community land trust homeownership and resources in the city. Office of the Mayor will meet or have a call with the Advisory Board on Community Ownership of Housing, with an agenda approved by the co-chairs and including the OakCLT and partners, every week until the timely implementation of the programs listed below:
The Office of the Mayor is to immediately oversee the rapid distribution of Acquisition and Conversion to Affordable Housing (ACAH) program funds in partnership with the OakCLT, Moms 4 Housing and ACCE for a rapid and efficient process of acquisition of speculator portfolios.
The Office of the Mayor will work to create a Right of First Refusal Policy on vacant properties owned by banks or corporate speculators, as well as a Tenant Opportunity to Purchase Act to incentivize the transfer of ownership to the City or Oakland Community Land Trust(s) or to nonprofit affordable housing organizations or the tenants themselves.
The City of Oakland will maintain a Foreclosed Property Registration Program and the Office of the Mayor will work over the next year to create a publicly accessible comprehensive Vacant Property Registry.
The Mayor will work with the City Administrator and Human Resources Department to fully staff as soon as possible the Housing and Community Development Department for the efficient implementation of the ACAH.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Home For Sale 469 Capital St Oakland, CA 94610
- Lake Merritt Boat Adventure! Oakland, CA.
- The Oakland Roots Continue to Struggle, and Get Shutout to the LA Galaxy II
- For Tokyo Olympics Panasonic Teams With Michael Phelps, Katie Ledecky, Others
- Sheng Thao District 4 Councilmember Champions Public Safety Investments for Oakland
- Naomi Osaka Upset By Marketa Vondrousova Tokyo Olympics Women’s Singles 3rd Round
- Governor Newsom Highlights New State Efforts to Encourage More Californians to Get Vaccinated
- California Will Require Vaccinations Or Covid Tests For State Employees And Health Care Workers
- RUGBY 7s TOKYO OLYMPICS Live Reaction (Not Showing Game) DAY 1
- Jade Carey powers her way into the women’s floor final | Tokyo Olympics | NBC Sports
- USA vs. Ireland | Tokyo Olympics 2020: Men’s Rugby Highlights | NBC Sports
- Japan Vs Canada | Rugby 7s | Olympics 2021 Highlights
- South Africa Vs USA Highlights | Rugby 7s | Olympics Highlights 2021
- Ireland Vs Kenya Highlights | Rugby 7s | Olympics Highlights 2021
- Argentina Vs South Korea Highlights | Rugby 7s | Olympics Highlights 2021
- New Zealand Vs Australia Highlights | Rugby 7s | Olympics Highlights 2021
- Lydia Jacoby Gets Gold Medal In Women’s 100 M Breathstroke Tokyo Olympics 2020
- Philippines Uprise In Protest Against President Rodrigo Duterte ,By Eric Pangilinan
- Barbara Boxer Former Senator Assaulted, Robbed In Oakland Jack London Square. Attacker Got Away
- Philippines Team Philippines Wins Gold For The First Time At The Olympics,By Eric Pangilinan