New Oakland District 2 Councilmember Nikki Bas issued a letter ahead of Oakland Inauguration Day next week, introducing her new Chief of Staff Miya Saika Chen, and the schedule for next week.
Here’s the letter:
Happy New Year! As Inauguration Day approaches, I want to remind you about opportunities for us to come together to advance our vision of an equitable city. I also want to introduce the first member of my District 2 team, Miya Saika Chen, Chief of Staff.
Please join these events and RSVPSaturday, January 5th, 11am – 1:30pm
District 2 Community Meeting
Cleveland Elementary School
Connect with neighbors, share your hopes and concerns for District 2, and help shape priorities for my first 100 days and first year in office.
Monday, January 7th, 11am – 2pm
Inauguration Ceremony & Reception
Oakland City Hall
Come early to secure a seat. Seats are first come, first serve.
Join me and other newly elected officials for the inauguration, the first meeting of the Oakland City Council and Oakland School Board, and a reception.
Monday, January 7th, 5:30 – 8:30pm
Oakland Asian Cultural Center
Join the newly-elected City Councilmembers – Nikki Fortunato Bas (D2), Sheng Thao (D4) and Loren Taylor (D6) – to celebrate their inauguration and toast to the future of Oakland!
Meet Miya Saika Chen, Chief of Staff
I’m thrilled to announce that Miya Saika Chen will join my team as Chief of Staff! I’m confident and excited about her leadership and commitment as we represent District 2.
Miya was raised in Oakland, is a resident of District 2, and comes from a family of community activists and organizers. Her father Art Chen is a family practitioner and has served low-income patients in Oakland Chinatown for nearly 40 years. Her mother Peggy Saika has been a longtime advocate for environmental justice and equity, fighting for the rights of immigrants and women of color.
This upbringing influenced Miya to forge a path in service and social justice that includes over 15 years of policy, legal, organizing, and coalition-building experience. Most recently, she worked at the Partnership for Working Families advising grassroots coalitions to secure a range of community benefits, including affordable housing to combat displacement, local hire, minimum wage, and greater transparency in government contracting. Her experience also includes working at the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights of the SF Bay Area, addressing the displacement of immigrant-owned small businesses and creating opportunities for people with conviction records. Miya started her career as a researcher at SEIU for janitor and security organizing campaigns in Oakland and San Francisco.
Miya’s public sector experience includes serving in the Obama Administration helping to relaunch the White House Initiative on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders to increase the federal government’s response and efficacy to underserved populations. During that time she helped manage the federal disaster response during the BP Oil Spill in the Gulf Coast where many Asian and Latino immigrant seafood workers were impacted. Miya also serves locally on the West Oakland Jobs Resource Center Board where they implement local hire policies at the Oakland Army Base.
Miya and her partner Amado Uno are raising their two young children in District 2.
Thank you again for making our victory possible. I look forward to being your representative at City Hall!
Nikki Fortunato Bas
Councilmember-Elect for Oakland District 2
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Cowboys vs Steelers – 2021 NFL Hall Of Fame Game NFL Draft Picks To Watch
- USS Hornet Car Show 2021, Alameda Ca, Lowriders, Bombitas, HD
- USS Hornet Car Show 2021, Alameda Ca, Lowriders, Bay Bombs CC 1941 Chevy RagTop
- Game Highlights: Oakland Roots SC vs. Phoenix Rising FC
- 4395 Piedmont Avenue Unit 307 Oakland, CA | ColdwellBankerHomes.com
- American Katie Nageotte goes from near-disaster to POLE VAULT GOLD | Tokyo Olympics | NBC Sports
- Las Vegas Raiders All Pro Linebacker K J Wright Visit The Raiders By Eric Pangilinan
- Kevin Durant Block Of Australian Olympics Basketball Player Layup Is Best Seen Freeze Frame
- ||The ACE Kids|| Visiting Oakland Zoo! PART 1
- Las Vegas Raiders Derek Carr Bryan Edwards Press Conference By Eric Pangilinan
- Las Vegas Raiders Jon Gruden Says Receiver Bryan Edwards Is Dynamic By Eric Pangilinan
- Are San Francisco’s ‘Tiny Homes’ the future of city housing? | ITV News
- San Francisco Cable Cars Are BACK – Lombard Street / Fishermans Wharf / Pier 39 / Boudin & Much MORE
- San Francisco Giants vs Arizona Diamondbacks Highlights August 4, 2021 – MLB Highlights | MLB 2021
- San Francisco Bay Area Reinstates Mask Order as Virus Surges
- What $3,488 Will Get You In San Francisco | Sweet Digs | Refinery29
- Mike McDaniel: Trey Lance Has a ‘Confident Swag’ | 49ers
- Plus Driverless Level 4 Truck on Highway Demo
- Covid Experts Send Message To Floridians Amid DeSantis Disinformation
- Worse Than Delta? Health Experts Worry About Future Variants